Sunday, January 9, 2011

Steel Cut Oats

I have never been a fan of sticky, gooey oatmeal, so when I discovered Steel Cut Oats, and it's nutty chewy consistency I was thrilled. As far as I can tell it has all the reasons to eat oatmeal once a day, and more. Because the oats are chopped instead of heated and rolled, some believe it retains a bit more of it's nutritional value. Best of all, I like it, and look forward to a bowl, either at breakfast, or as one of my daily snacks. Because of their minimal processing Steel Cut Oats take a bit longer to prepare. I boil 1 part oats to 3 parts water with a dash of sea salt, for 20 mins. I save time by cooking a pot once a week, and storing it in an air tight container in the fridge. I buy the oats in bulk at the health food store. Pre-packaged at the grocery store seemed expensive.

1/4 c. cooked oats
1/4 c. frozen blueberries

Place in a bowl, cover and microwave for 1-2 min.

Steel Cut Oats 1/4 c. cooked = about 150 calories; 5g. protein; 27g. carbs; 5g. fiber (remember to subtract fiber from carb to give you 22 g. of usable carbs).

I recommend eating your oatmeal with with protein, such as 3 egg whites, vanilla proflex shake, or CARBmaster yogurt

No comments:

Post a Comment