Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tomatoes on Everything!


Every Spring I plant a garden, and every summer I neglect my garden. But even with my neglect, this year we have some great tasting tomatoes. I have eaten one at every meal and with at least half of my snacks, for the past month and a half. The good news is that tomatoes are low in sodium, very low in saturated fat and cholesterol, fat free, high in fiber, and provide a number of Vitamins and Minerals. They add so much flavor to sandwiches and salads that dressings are not needed. Remember that they are almost entirely a carbohydrate, meaning that you should eat them with an equal serving of lean protein. I have listed some of my favorite combinations.

* cottage cheese and tomatoes
* tuna, cottage cheese, and tomato lettuce wrap
* canadian bacon, egg, low fat cheese, and tomato on a whole grain thin bun
* turkey slice with a spread of laughing cow light cheese wedge and tomato roll-up

Please post your favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment