Friday, April 2, 2010

Mom's Beef and Bean Burritos



1 and 1/2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
1 medium onion diced
2 (4oz.) cans diced green chilies
1 T Low sodium beef bouillon granules
2 t. oregano
2 t. garlic powder
1 (15 oz.) can of kidney beans
2 small cans of refried beans
30 fajita sized carb balance tortillas

Brown hamburger with onion, seasonings, and chilies, drain off any fat. Place meat in a large pot, stir in beans and allow to simmer on low, until flavors have combined. Soften tortillas in microwave or on a warm skillet. Spoon 1/4 c. of meat and bean mixture into center of tortilla, fold in ends and sides. Brown on skillet and serve with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, and low fat sour cream. I like to brown, cool, and seal individually in a sandwich bag. They are then frozen to grab later and microwave for a quick and easy snack that can be eaten in a hurry. My kids love these. I have fond memories of my mom multiplying this recipe on a giant skillet before livestock shows, so she could warm them on an electric frypan before and after our sheep shows.

These small burritos are about 160 calories, 5 g. fat (3 1/2 saturated) 12g. protein and, 12g. carb. I double the meat mixture in a large tortilla for a main meal or for my husband. My Dad and brother are cattle ranchers so I have not done this, but if you substitute ground turkey breast for the beef you could cut about 15 calories and 3g. of saturated fat from each burrito. If you try this please let me know how it went.


No comments:

Post a Comment