Saturday, July 17, 2010

Run the Red Rock

I'm a runner. It all started with the 4th of July races at the park. From there it led to Jr. High, senior high, and college track and X country teams. With adulthood came road races, half marathons, and full marathons. Now my favorite running event is distance relays. I guess you could say that running has been a big part of my life. I love the sense of accomplishment it gives me, the hours of silent "me" time to think, dream and pray. But most importantly running has helped me develop my most treasured relationships. My best friends in the world have all been my running partners. I guess that is why I am so excited to tell you about an opportunity we have to run a distance relay with team "Lets get fitt". I got the bug to do a distance relay with my new "lets get fitt" friends (that's anyone who has ever looked on this blog), about a month ago while running the "Wasatch Back". Looking on-line I learned thatThe Red Rock Relay is September 10th and 11th, first I worried that the race would already be full. Finding out that it wasn't full I then worried that there was not enough time to find 12 team members. After talking to many of you at our workouts, I can see that there there may be enough interest. Now the trick is to get our 12 member team prepared for the event in time, because the race is only 7 weeks away.

This first year I am opening it up to all interested females. The cost of registering a team is $1100, which I won't do until I have 12 team members who have payed their $100 each. The extra $9 a person will go towards the cost of gas (this will not be enough to cover all the gas, so plan a bit more to help cover the cost of gas).

You need not be a fast runner. My focus is on the experience we will have while doing it, not the speed we do it in. The relay will require you to run three legs of this 180 mile relay race in mountainous terrain. While there is some variance in the distance each runner must run, most runners will need to run around 16 miles total in a 24 hour time period. If you have the desire to be, but are not yet a runner, we would love to have you on our team next year when there is sufficient time for you to prepare.

I hope to have our team set up and registered by this time next week. The race is capped at 200 and there is no way for me to know how much longer space will be available. Once I am sure that we have enough for a team, we can assign the legs, and begin to specialize our training. I will then begin posting workouts and running tips that will help you prepare for the race. Until then extend your 20 min. interval training 3x a week to 30 min. 2x a week, with one day a week endurance distance running.

Things to do today!

#1 Check out the relay web site at http://www.redrockrelay.com/
#2 Tell your running friends about our team. "
#3 Mark Sept. 10th and 11th on your calendar as "Girls weekend"
#4 Get me $100 (sell something, it will be worth it!)
#5 Hurry, it could fill up fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment